After booking a session, you might wonder “what should we wear?!”
My answer is simple – be YOU! I know, I know, that’s not helpful, but the truth is that your clothing choice depends on what you’re envisioning for your photos. If you want relaxed photos, come in your favorite casual outfit. A little more formal? Maybe a new dress in a great color – then coordinating the other outfits around that. I typically recommend choosing two colors and having them incorporated throughout different items of clothing or accessories. You want everything to flow without being too matchy-matchy. THAT is the goal. Whatever you choose, make sure it’s something you love wearing!
Need some inspiration? Check out these images and scroll down for more color ideas!
Here are a few ideas –
• Match your eye color. You’d be surprised how much this can do for your eyes! However, I wouldn’t recommend for your blue-eyed bunch to show up wearing head-to-toe blue. Moderation and coordination are key. Also, don’t forget how accessories can play a huge role with a pop of color!
• Think about where in your house you want to hang your photos. You can match the colors of your outfits to your decor so that your photos will coordinate with that particular living space.
• I’m a big fan of using dark blue or gray in the fall – it always looks so great against autumn colored foliage in the background. This also allows for your clothing colors to pop, instead of trying to match the background. You do NOT need to dress your family in just reds and browns for this season. Want to see an example? Check out this gorgeous family!
• Reds (pinks included) can be the most powerful color in images. If you wear red or red accessories, your eyes may be drawn to those things instead of faces and expressions. That’s not to say that wearing red is a big no-no – just something to think about, especially with large accessories.
• When in doubt, neutral colors and earth tones always photograph well.
• Black is a very flattering color. It hides a lot!
Still unsure on what to wear? Ask me! Heck, you can send me photos of your options – I’d be glad to help you out!
Holiday Sessions are available now! This year I’ll be working with Toys For Tots. Help support this amazing organization by bringing a new (unwrapped) toy to your session and receive a print credit! Spots are very limited – be sure to contact me soon to schedule yours! Click HERE for details.
Enter your information below to join KMP’s VIP list!